1. How would you describe Kate’s relationship with Arthur Poole? Does she act appropriately?
2. The author mentions songs from the 1970s. Do these songs, and their artists, contribute to particular scenes or the overall focus of the book? How important is the 1970s setting to the story?
3. What factor’s influence the Nostalgia City CEO’s opinion of legalizing pot?
4. Excluding Kate, how would you categorize the role of women in the book?
5. How is the case for legalizing marijuana presented? Do you think the author has an opinion of legal pot?
6. The author’s narrative technique is to alternate point-of-view chapters between Lyle and Kate. Was each character’s POV obvious with the change of chapters?
7. When Arthur Poole says that heroin and cocaine are dangerous drugs it elicits laughs from his audience. Why is that? How does this establish what comes next at the public forum?
8. This is a mystery. What was the biggest surprise in the book?
9. How does the author differentiate the voices of the various characters? Is it effective?
10. What do you think happened to Tony Guerra? Was the author specific enough for you about Guerra’s plight?